The Soil Science Society of Pakistan (SSSP) is a non-government and non-profit organization of scientists, engineers, technologists and students involved in the profession of Soil Science. The Society, established in 1958, was revived in 1984. Active members of the Society are over 400.
The Society works to advance the discipline and practice of Soil Science by acquiring and disseminating information about soils in relation to crop production, environmental quality, ecosystem sustainability, bioremediation, waste management and recycling, and wise land use.
- Promote Soil Science research and its application.
- Create facilities and provide a forum for close cooperation among the scientists working in Soil Science and allied disciplines.
- Foster publication of a Soil Science Journal, Newsletter, etc.
Members of SSSP typically hold a degree in Soil Science/Agricultural Chemistry/ Agronomy or in science with active engagement in Soil Science profession. In addition to Active Members, the society also has Honorary, Patron, and Student Members.
The affairs of the Society are managed by an Executive Council, elected after every two years, consisting of a President, five Vice Presidents (one from each province and AJK), Secretary, Joint Secretary, Treasurer, five Councilors, and the immediate Past-President.
- Executive Council is empowered to raise and receive donations and bequests.
- The Society funds are kept in a scheduled bank, and the bank account is operated jointly by the Treasurer and President/ Secretary.
- Expenditure incurred in the conduct of the Society business is got approved from the Executive Council.
- The Society’s account is examined by an auditor, appointed by the Executive Council.
- Soil and Environment, published quarterly, is the official technical publication of the Society. It is recognized internationally. The Editorial Board of the Journal comprises of a Chief Editor and eight Editors. The papers undergo peer review, prior to publication, by Consulting Editors who are specialized in various disciplines of Soil Science. The Society members are offered free subscription.
- Congresses of Soil Science are organized once in two years, since 1985. Each Congress is participated by about 400 scientists and about 150 scientific presentations are made. The Plenary Session comprises of invited presentations, by leading scientists, related to the Congress Theme. And the volunteered papers are presented either orally or as posters. The Congress recommendations are disseminated amongst federal and provincial policy makers, administrators in agricultural research, education and extension, and agro-based industry.
- Society Awards recognize significant professional contributions in a number of ways. Honorary membership is awarded to non-members who have rendered valuable services to Soil Science or to the Society. The Society is initiating a Fellowship program to recognize and honour the eminent members with outstanding contribution to the profession. The good-quality presentations in the Soil Science Congresses are recognized by awarding monetary prizes and certificates of excellence.
- National Directory of Soil Scientists, a handy source of comprehensive and up-to-date information, lists qualification, specialization, professional interests, and contact information of about 500 soil scientists. It also provides qualification-wise, specialization-wise, and regional break-ups of the scientists. The Directory helps in promoting professional interactions.
- Soil Science News, the Society’s newsletter, is also published quarterly. It is an information bulletin through which members share professional developments, ideas achievements and activities. The Soil Science News is distributed amongst Society members and other concerned quarters in the country.
The SSSP provides leadership to meet the soil management challenges of the future. Doing so will require a wide range of expertise and ingenuity. If you share the ideal of “promoting the wise use of Pakistan’s soil resources” you are encouraged to become a member of the Society.